Perhaps you've noticed that I've added a little poll to the right-hand side of the page highlighting my distaste for a few select Christmas songs. And so perhaps you think that I'm a bit of a scrooge. Let me explain. I'm one of those types that starts listening to Christmas music as soon as Thanksgiving weekend has wrapped. So, I love it as much as the next person. Really. In fact, I have a hard time picking my favorite, especially when it comes to those grand hymn numbers like "Once in Royal David's City" or "O Come All Ye Faithful" performed with a full choir and orchestra. Growing up, my family listened to a lot of MoTab Christmas albums, and I suppose that it really hard-wired me to think that there is a certain kind of "official" music of the season.
But this year, after OD'ing on news programs after the election coverage, I find that I can't take listening to any kind of news anymore and I have opted instead for the in-car entertainment of all Christmas music--all the time. Therefore, I'm becoming really well acquainted with the full spectrum of Christmas music, and let's just say, a lot of it is incredibly schmaltzy. Ok, some are good songs with just really unfortunate arrangements, but some I just can't take no matter the performance.
So I'm polling a few of my favorites for most annoying Holiday songs in existence. However, I'm happy to take all other suggestions as well in case you just need to get it off your chest.
p.s. For some more enjoyable reads on varying Christmas music taste, you can read about my friend Rob giving into his wife's desire to hear cheery Christmas music, or don't miss the Jolly Porter's opinion on the existence of another certain holiday song.
13 comments:
I remember one year you listened to the entire Barbara Streisand at least once a day to get into the holiday spirit. It is a great album, but I can't seem to get through the whole thing now. In honor of your post, I'll put my cassette up for grabs to anyone who wants to add it to their collection.
Touche, sister!
Feliz Navidad has GOT to up there with one of the most annoying Christmas songs of all time! Celine Dion singing this song is the WORST!!!
Thanks, Marianna! I start laughing at the image of Celine Dion singing that. And now I'm reminded of another one of my all-time worst: I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus. Especially bad when it's being sung by an adult affecting some whiny child voice. Yuck. One year in an effort to completely tease me, Adam put this song on endless repeat until I cried uncle.
I Want a Hippopotamus For Christmas.
We made the mistake of choosing this when our family was looking for something cute to perform for a neighbor's party, and now I'll never be truly free of it again.
Here's a charming midi version: http://kids.niehs.nih.gov/lyrics/hippo.htm
And the more traditional form:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtqIM_bPTws
I forgot to say THANKS for the Jolly Porter link. His song is an instant classic. Kind of like a Princess Unicorn doll.
I definitely think that 12 days of Christmas has to get up there.
What the??
No "Christmas Shoes?" I hate that song. I hate all of it. If your mom, who is dying in bed, which is very sad, you're not going to put shoes on her...come on?!
At least all the listeners to B101 voted it at 97 or something on their 101 countdown so I think people are no longer going to be used by sentimentality--we want Christmas Substance!!
Thanks for this important poll you're doing--;-)
Whoops I saw Christmas Shoes...apparently i can't read when I'm so passionate about something--
I love The Christmas Song, whats wrong with chestnuts and fire and Jack frost? You are a Grinch. :-) Wait, and Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas? I'm confused I thought these dumb songs, why not put White Christmas up there? Or Silent Night, or The little Drummer boy? I can't vote, now I'm too distraught. And I can't figure out how to delete my comments.
Christmas shoes for sure. That one kills me. So does any version of Elvis.
I think we are living a double life. AFter the election NPR hiatus, post Thanksgiving all Christmas all the time. I think I have a hard time with Barbara singing about the baby Jesus...it just doesn't ring true.
My FAVORITE Christmas album: Kings College Choir "Oh Come All Ye Faithful." Good old hymns sung by cute little British school boys. Love it.
ANYTHING by Mariah Carey (Christmas or not, but especially Christmas). I would much rather listen to stupid commercials than hear her sing. I was cleaning the kitchen when one of her songs came on and I immediately stopped and went to my computer to leave a comment. Thank you for letting me get that off my chest.
So, though I voted for the chipmunks, I have to agree with the "I Saw Mommy Kissing SantaClaus." Come on how do you explain that one to your kids when they hear it. If they still believe in Santa Claus you can't really say, it's ok, it was really daddy. So annoying, otherwise you have a philandering Santa and a cheating mother.
In my family growing up Christmas music was celtic harp or choir arrangements and the like. Marriage taught me that there are other types of Christmas music...like the Ray Coniff Singers Christmas Album. It is cheesy but cheery and I'm ok with most of the songs. My vote for worst Christmas song is "Grandpa got run over by a Reindeer". I find it hard to call it a Christmas song- obnoxious playground song is a better category. Merry Christmas!
Post a Comment