01 October 2008

Of Socks and Solidarity


When I pulled these socks out of the drawer today I remembered that it is almost 3 years to the weekend since two of my dearest girlfriends from Berkeley (and dearest friends in general) and I had a reunion in New York City. My mother-in-law, ever the gracious and generous hostess, bought us each a pair of these socks to celebrate our weekend together being free from kids and houses, and she named them the Sister Solidarity Socks. We wore them with pride.

Today as I put them on I thought about how now one of these friends is going through an experience so hard and painful that I would wish it on no one. For weeks--no months--now she's faced a road of emotional challenges that has been nothing but uphill and that would level even the strongest of spirits. And as my heart has been daily breaking for her, I am still amazed at her fortitude and endurance. But now she's facing immediate decisions and actions that require her to be stronger and more vigilant and more faithful than she's probably ever been asked to have been before--and to do this by herself. At least she feels like she's by herself. But I want her to know that I wear these socks today, once again, in solidarity because she is not and will never be alone. And I know that it is not just me but that there are many others out there whose thoughts and prayers (both silent and aloud) are also for her.

My meager message for her: Trust. Hope.

And know that you are loved.

4 comments:

M-L said...

I love these socks and I wore them so much that they are old and worn now! Lot's of love your way too my friend! You are in my thoughts and prayers.
Jennette thank you for the post.

Ferrin Family Funny Farm said...

Jennette,
Just thinking about you and your family. We are heading to a mission reunion tomorrow with Pres. and Sis. Nelson, and I know Eric will be thinking and reminiscing about their (Adam and Eric) many adventures. Have a great day.

Sarah

Mary Ann said...

Hear, hear Jennette! Let her know we're all pulling for her and here for her. Our basement suite is always open for her too.
Much love.

Rebecca said...

I just wore my special socks, and I thought of similar things, dearest friend. Long live the kind of friendships that sustain us through tough times.