03 May 2008

Happy Birthday to Jayne


I have to give a birthday shout out to my sister Jayne on her big 25th! Not only are you one of the all-over best Muggles around, but we now have seven more reasons to love you even more thanks to your sending us all of the Harry Potter series as audio books last year.

It was a fabulous way to introduce the series and characters to the kids and to Adam, who had never read any of them before. We started listening in the summer for our long road trips to DC, NYC and Cape Cod, but we hardly paused for breath in between each book and disc--listening even around town on errands or on the way to church. By the time we got to The Deathly Hallows (which I didn't read in print when it came out in July since I decided to wait until Adam and the kids had caught up with all the others), Adam and I had to keep listening at night while we worked on painting our bedroom and bathroom. Shhhh...don't tell the kids that we got ahead of them this way. Just sing it like you're Tevye: "Addiction....Addiction!"

Actually, I knew that we were really immersed when one day Olivia was calling for me (and I wasn't responding right away) and she finally yelled out in exasperaion, "Accio Mommy!"

So, dear Aunt Jayne, many, many thanks. To say that it made for a very fun year is a pretty weak characterization of we actually feel. And it was a very bittersweet experience to hit the end of Book #7 and have to say goodbye to not only Harry and Ron and Hermione and all the others, but also to Jim Dale and his fabulous narration performance. He was tremendous. (So it's a good thing that I've found that watching Pushing Daises fixes that hurt just a little.)

But of course, we could never love Harry Potter more than we love you. We're looking forward to seeing you next month, and in the meantime, we hope that your birthday was just as good as a day with some Felix Felicis! You deserve it!

4 comments:

jaynelora said...

Thank you for the birthday wish! I am glad that I could share with you some of my addictions. Let me know when Jim Dale starts to narrate your dreams. I used to fall asleep listening to Harry Potter and he would narrate my dreams. Pretty Crazy.

Zina said...

That is so great. That is how I got Dean hooked on Harry Potter (a few years ago) -- I bought the tapes for a road trip. I love it that your whole family's enjoyed Harry Potter so much.

(Oh, and even though I haven't met here, I think I'd better also say: Happy Birthday, Jayne!)

Zina said...

I mean met her. Not met here. (Not here nor there, nor anywhere -- not on a train, not in the rain, not on a boat, not with a goat . . .)

jenlinmin said...

We've enjoyed books on CD while on long road trips for several years now, but after we listened to the 6th Harry Potter on our Spring Break trip this year, we couldn't wait for the next road trip to listen to the 7th year. We now listen to it on every commute to school, trip to the grocery store, etc. I agree with MA McFarland who deemed JK Rowling a "genius"!

Is this a random cake picture or did somebody you know spend 3 days making it???