31 December 2009

The rest of December, Part I


Here I am on the last day of December and only moments before we are going to take off for the very exciting First Night Celebration in downtown Wilmington. Remember, Wilmington: A place to Be Someone. Or maybe it was, Be Someone In Wilmington (get it... Wilm IN gton!). Kindof like Utah when it was "Utah: A Pretty Great State" if you like that sort of thing, I guess. But I digress....and I should be clear that actually I love Utah and actually think that it is a pretty and (comma) great state! And, truth be told, Wilmington is a place where you can be someone too. Nothing like a small pond to make for some big fish, eh Joe Biden!


Ok, ok, ..... So, for Part I of the rest of December, I cannot leave out the massive snow storm that rolled in a couple of weekends ago.  And it was awesome.  The storm came late Friday night, so I spent the earlier part of that evening with the rest of the city running out to the grocery store and stocking up on milk and eggs, and finishing all of my Christmas errands.  It made for a lovely weekend of  nothing left on the plate but to play in the snow because by Saturday morning we woke to several inches, and by Saturday night, we had 18 inches and had already shoveled out the driveway three times.  And thanks, Church, for being canceled--that helped too since I wasn't so caught up on that RS lesson I was supposed to teach! 



The first time I ever saw our house, I came to tour it on a wacky day in March when there happened to be snow storm.  I remember looking at the snow covered hills in the back yard and thinking that this house had some amazing sledding.  What I didn't know was that the snow was also covering up a multitudes of other sins committed on the yard by years and years of neglect, and that's a topic that I try and avoid blogging about for fear that it would take up 75% of my blogging topics, but as for when it snows, yes, the back yard does indeed have some pretty incredible sledding.  And it makes for a great time to invite over the neighbor kids.  Here's a picture I took from the safety and warmth of the kitchen (while making up some cocoa and popcorn, mind you!) of our back yard with 14 people in it.  The kids filtered in and out a couple of times on the tour of all the back yards near by.  Max and our neighbor Charlie were out there together for at least 3 hours, if not more.





 But it was Adam who probably took the most advantage of the snow.  He got out his cross country skiis and did a couple of laps around the neighborhood on the unplowed streets.  Then he had his snowboard and his telemark skiis out for the hills in the back yard.  By the end of the afternoon when the kids were all snowed out and finally inside, he went back out to pack in more snow time before he lost daylight. 

And then, they canceled school on Monday and Tuesday.  It was  a good start to the holiday break.


5 comments:

Anna said...

What fun! So glad school ended up getting cancelled.

Enjoy the snow before the yardwork season begins. ick.

Anna said...

BTW: I too, am also very averse to driving on the SLICK roads and have become quite a wimp. It happens to the best of us. Oh wait, wasn't I always a wimp?

Melin said...

Isabell's face is fantastic.

Jennette said...

Melin, actually, you can just call her Smurfette.

Anonymous said...

What a showoff Adam is, what with his telemarks, cross-country skis, AND his snowboard. =) It's about time Delaware got enough snow to use all three during one storm, eh?