15 April 2009

Busted


Last night Isabel needed some candy. Don't ask me what I was thinking considering that I'm pretty sure that since Sunday she hasn't eaten much more than the candy contents of her Easter Basket. But I'm a desperate woman these days...so in the presence of all my children, I promptly reached up to the cupboard above the refrigerator and pulled out small sack full the remaining unused candy that we had bought for making Easter baskets. And then missing the warning glance that Adam gave me, I set the bag and its entire contents in front of Isabel so that she could take her pick.

Olivia looked at the candy selection Isabel was browsing, and then (Eureka!) exclaimed:

"You're the Easter Bunny!"

Oops.

And while I sheepishly looked over at Adam, Max then blurts out,
"And I know that you're the Tooth Fairy too."


14 comments:

Sharon said...

So sad --the end of the 'fairy tales time' for the children. At least nothing was blurted about December times!

Seamore Tomato said...

Ahhh! The end of an era. It's all over now. At least they seemed to take it well. :)

Chris W. said...

You have to love "mommy brain" when you have just had a baby. I blame it for all kinds of things!

Well, look at the bright side. Easter will be much easier next year.

Rachel said...

Smarty - Love the story!

Diana said...

Your secret identity has been revealed. Shucks.

Challey said...

Very funny. Definitely a laugh out loud post! Those little smarties! My mom always used to say (still does in fact), if you don't believe in the Easter bunny, then he won't come! I think it's hysterical. Stratton has been asking questions and I just don't push the issue either way. I just kind of leave it up to him to believe what he wants to. Seriously though, that is hilarious! What were you thinking showing them your stash anyway? Now they are going to check your hiding spot.

Anonymous said...

How funny. They're smart kids.

Once when Isaac was three or four we spent Christmas at my mom's and someone left wrapping paper on a table. Isaac pointed to it and said, "Look, that means Santa's not real!" Thinking quickly, I told him Santa had asked us to help wrap presents to save him time, and Isaac went for it.

On the other hand, I've always told my kids I asked the Easter Bunny to let me do the baskets -- I think trying to keep one big secret per year is plenty. But then again we do do the Tooth Fairy thing. So, yeah.

I loved the photos of Saul. He's adorable. I hope he starts putting on weight for you. Henry lost weight for a little while when he was a few months old, and I hate to say it, but once we started supplementing with formula (which we had to do,) he lost interest in nursing and I finally gave up and let him wean himself around (I think) eight months. So far Hazel's a pretty good nurser and I do hope she keeps it up.

Anna said...

You are the BEST! I love it. Doesn't it feel good to come clean? I want to.

Mindi said...

LOL! I wonder how long Max has been bursting to tell you that info!

Adam said...

I was way more heartbroken than the kids. All my hard work shot to pieces in one fell swoop. Really it wasn't a warning glance, more like a desperate glare while kicking myself for not reminding Jennette that the candy in our stash spot was for her and I and it wouldn't be wise to share with the kids. Sigh!

Susan said...

YOU'RE the Easter Bunny??? How lucky is it that I know you?

Kaerlig said...

:) busted

jenlinmin said...

I'm still totally convinced that my 10-year old and 7-year old believe in all fairies, bunnies, and saints. Am I naive? I'm just not ready for MY bubble to be burst so I am going to keep on believing...

Melin said...

That is awesome.